Pages

Saturday, 21 March 2015

TBT: A trip down memory lane


My parents divorced when I was around 4 or 5 years old. Because my dad works in shifts, I spend most of the time at my grandparents’ house. I practically lived there so my grandmother and aunt pretty much raised me. I’m going to talk about a typical school day there.

My aunt would wake up every school day at around eight thirty am. She would’ve laid out my clothes and prepared my snacks for that day. My hair used to be hip height so we had to braid it every day. Nowadays I hate to braid my hair because I sick of doing it.  My grandfather and I would leave for school at around twenty past nine. My school didn’t start until twenty to ten but we had to pick up my cousins first. Although the ride to school was only about five minutes long we’d always fight about what radio station we were going to listen to. My cousins and I wanted to listen to Q-music but my grandfather wanted to listen to radio one, in the end my cousins and I would always win. We’d say to my grandfather that he could listen to radio one on the way back.
I used to really hate going to school. Not because of the learning or anything but because I got pestered a lot. In the beginning I had some guy friends but after a while most of them  started pestering me as well. I did had this one friend, his name was Pieterjan. I got to call him PJ for short. We were both obsessed with Harry Potter, which was really weird because we were both a little too young to watch those movies. We’d learn as many spells as possible and have ’battles’ or just re-enact the films. We also used to play Mario Kart a lot. Not during school of course, that was prohibited but we’d write down our high scores and compare them at school to see who was better. You could say we were quite some geeks.
I think that beside PJ my cousin Elien actually was my best friend during primary school. I’m only two years older than her so the age difference wasn’t too big. Because my aunt and uncle had to work late they’d stay at my grandparents’ house after school. My cousin and I would to the most insane things to her brother. For example when we were playing dress up and there was a dress that was too small for we’d make him wear it, or we’d paint his nails and put make-up on him. We were quite horrible to him. We’d also play with my Barbie dolls a lot. I had the biggest Barbie dolls/décor collection you could imagine. I had all the dolls, princesses, castles, etc. My most precious item was the scooter I got for my sixth birthday.
When it was time to go to bed my grandmother would put me in and read me a bedtime story. I think that’s when my love for reading started. The book that she would read to me was ‘Pietje puk’. When I got older I’d read the books and she’d listen. Something that my grandmother always did is waiting until I was fully asleep before she went downstairs. She did this because I was scared of the dark and wouldn’t fall asleep otherwise.

That’s pretty much how every school day went, scarp that. That’s how my entire childhood went. I think it’s safe to say that my childhood wasn’t all roses and sunshine, but who’s childhood was? There were moments that I just wanted to stay in bed all day and never come out but there were also moments ,whether I was re-enacting Harry Potter or just playing with my dolls, that I didn’t care about what they thought of me at school.
At the moment I don’t have any contact anymore with Pieterjan, which makes me a little bit sad, but I’m still really close with my cousin. She’s as much a sister to me as my grandmother and aunt are mothers to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment